Wednesday, July 23, 2008

QUICK!

BLAaaaaH! Sorry!

I don't have too much time...sleep is precious.

BUT everything's going well...or going...here.

One of our beloved team members left to go back to the States today. David is a teacher, and he starts school soon, so he had to go back and prepare. It was emotional, but really cool to see how the students were so touched by his friendship this summer. Many of them cried, and we could tell how much they appreciated the love he was able to extend these past couple months.

I can't believe the rest of us only have two more weeks. It's going by too fast!!!! NO!!!

BUT I'm so enjoying my friendships here with the students. I've spent so much time with Saaya and Nanako, and it has meant so much just to be able to love them and grow in our friendship.

Here are recent happenings in short sentences:

Saaya and I went to Disney Sea at the beginning of the month. It was awesome, and we met Ariel (the mermaid, not the Shakespeare character...obviously).

Nanako is really good at volleyball...and I'm not. We bonded over this.

Sae (I haven't talked about her...but she's pretty much awesome) is going to be studying abroad in New York this academic year.

Saaya will be studying in Tennessee this academic year. I hope I get to see her in the States. :)

We saw a fireworks festival (hanabi) with some of the students. It was actually quite a large group--about 20 of us. The girls wore yukata (summer kimono), and Walter wore a jimbe (I'm not sure on the spelling...but it's a yukata kind of thing for guys). America needs better fireworks, I've decided. Japan has Hello Kitty fireworks...and smiley faces.

Ooshima camp next weekend (Aug. 1-4) will be our last time with the students. :( ...BUT it will be incredibly awesome, and is a great opportunity for great conversation. Oh...Ooshima camp will be on an island...we will go to the beach and camp and see the river and the forest there.

Today, we got another member on the team. A guy named Cole...and I haven't actually met him yet, so I really can't tell you anything else about him. BUT please be praying for his time here, and that our team would gel quickly in these last couple weeks.


Also, please be praying for finances for our entire team. Almost all of us are still significantly under-budget (including me), and are trying to look continually to God for His abundant provision.



I'll try to update again soon!

Loving God's love and loving with God's love,

Ashley

1 comment:

Christy said...

thanks Ashley! your prayers for my team were answered!

I'm praying for your last days in Japan and the Oshima trip! I can't wait to see you again!

Ashley Axup